Rites of Passage
As a young man, I realize I’m still getting my feet on the ground. Here are the goals and targets I’ve set for myself in the last 3 years. This list had been up in 2010, but I discontinued it. I’ve decided to renew it and keep it up to date with strike-throughs showing things I’ve accomplished. Categories are arbitrary and nebulous.
Establish myself as financially independent. This means having sufficient income to support myself living on my own away from my family without any assistance from my parents. Get out of debt
- Establish an independent, self-generated source of income
- Establish myself in a meaningful job with opportunities for personal growth and the ability to positively impact the lives of others, and be able to operate on my own or as an integral part of the organization
- Support myself as a freelance writer
Write and publish a long-form writing project(check it out)
- Write and publish a science fiction and/or fantasy novel
Live and work abroad (currently living and working in South Korea) Publish an article is a real print magazine
- Earn a MovNat Instructor Certification (more info)
- Support myself as a natural movement and health teacher (in combination with writing)
- Earn a degree in global ecology or environmental science (
apply to graduate school in ecopsychology)
- Demonstrate real value to those who I work for and those I help (ongoing).
- Meditate consistently
- Study and practice Tibetan Buddhism in Dharamsala, India
- Hike the Himalayas in Bhutan and Nepal
- Promote and spread ecological spiritual awareness
Learn to be comfortable in any social situation. Gain the ability to generate and emanate positive energy. Be willing to try new things and learn a variety of different approaches and styles. Get over my fear of seeming silly or stupid.
- Vastly expand my social network. Form business and personal connections that I can utilize to benefit others and myself (ongoing)
Participate in the CrossFit sectionals in March 2010, and do well.
- Increase my strength. (
deadlift: 350lbs, Squat: 300lbs, Clean: 215lbs, Jerk 215lbs, Snatch: 170lbs, Press: 165lbs) (sort of ongoing) Run a marathon
- Run a marathon at a respectable pace
- Achieve a
free handstand, front lever, planche, and iron cross, and a full depth handstand pushup.
- Krav Maga
- Eliminate all
processed sugarsand starchy carbs consistently Implement regular intermittent fasting
- Transition to a 100% local eating pattern
- Eventually grow most of my own food